What to Do When a Loved One as near the End of Their Life
It can be an extremely profound experience to be with someone you love when they are nearing the end of their life. While you need to be there to give the person company and solace, the anticipation and anxiety that comes along with it can be mentally & emotionally exhausting.
Sometimes, you may also wish that the moment just end and the sense of guilt that accompanies these thoughts can be extremely difficult to deal with. But when you are with the loved with near the end of life there are certain things you can do such as:
- Many people feel that if the person’s eyes are closed or if they appear restless or unconscious, that they can’t hear what is being said to them. But the fact is that hearing is the very last sense to go when a person is dying. Always assume that the person is able to hear you and talk to them as if they can.
- It's best to lower the lighting or light some candles. If it’s the daytime, make sure that the sun isn’t shining into their eyes and on their face.
- Play some soothing music and create a soothing atmosphere in the room.
- You can also read out loud to them- it could be a religious verse, a hymn or even a poem.
- Keep in mind that sometimes, strong physical contact can be intrusive or painful even. It's best to just sit by their bedside and hold their hand gently.
- If you feel that gentle massage to their feet may provide some comfort, that’s something you could consider.
- If the person is of a religious bent of mind, you could consider arranging for end-of-life prayers to be said by a priest, vicar or chaplain.
If you have any questions about our services, contact us via our online form or give us a call (604) 888-9895. We at Arbutus Funeral Service will be happy to help.