Social Media Meets Funeral Service? The Pro’s And Cons
Almost everyone has a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram account these days. They use social media platforms to communicate with loved ones, share information, and stay in touch with people living in different cities or countries. Unsurprisingly, social media has changed the way people inform others about a loved one’s passing and express grief. At Arbutus Funeral Service, we have observed that these platforms have their pros and cons.
The Advantages of Social Media
Social media is a popular platform that makes it easier for people to stay in touch. There are several advantages of incorporating these networks into the funeral and grieving process. Some of these benefits include:
- Spreading Information – You can inform people about the death of a loved one through a single post. Your online connections will share the information and post condolence messages. This is easier than calling or emailing everyone directly to inform them.
- Reaching Unknown Connections – Your loved one may have friends and acquaintances you aren’t aware of. When you post the news on social media, it will reach all of the deceased individual’s network so no one is left unaware.
- Memorial Page – You can create a memorial page on platforms like Facebook. That’s a great way to honor a loved one’s member on a digital platform.
Social media is a global network so you can easily reach everyone, regardless of their location.
The Disadvantages of Social Media
Unfortunately, these networks also have a few disadvantages that you must consider before using them for this purpose.
- Many people feel that posting a memorial or informing people about a loved one’s demise on social media is impersonal.
- The older generation isn't very tech-savvy and may not have social media accounts.
- Few things are private and personal on these networks. The post may attract the attention of unknown people and trolls.
Have any questions about organizing a funeral or want to book funeral services? Just contact us or give us a call (604) 888-9895. We at Arbutus Funeral Service will be happy to help.