Who Is Eligible For Hospice Care?
Establishments providing hospice care focus on individuals that have a low life expectancy. It is a good way to make sure that the person who is at the end of life has some comfort and companionship. Hospice staff includes professionals dedicated to ensuring that patients are comfortable and looked after well. Here is some information about who is eligible for hospice care.
The Criteria for Hospice Care
These are the eligibility criteria which have to be considered when it comes to hospice care:
- A patient who has less than 6 months to live can be eligible for admission to hospice.
- The person would need a medical certificate provided by their physician.
- Anyone without the certificate would not be eligible to apply.
- Most hospices need two certificates. One would be from the patient’s personal doctor. The other certificate has to be from the doctor treating the specific illness. The hospice center will accepts the patient if they have been diagnosed with a terminal illness
- Patients at the end of life suffer from various health issues including loss of weight, extreme fatigue, and lack of movement. Many also suffer from diseases that require special attention and cannot be ignored
- If the patient has to visit a doctor multiple times, with no improvement in their health
- A hospice provides more comfort to the patient as well as the family. Since there are skilled staff members that offer day and night services to the patient, the latter is more comfortable in the last days of their life.
When a patient is in hospice care, it also provides the family members respite from looking after them constantly. Many family members have personal and professional commitments that cannot be overlooked while caring for or a loved one with a terminal illness.
Have any questions about organizing a funeral or want to book funeral services? Just contact us or give us a call (604) 888-9895. We at Arbutus Funeral Service will be happy to help.